Friday, May 30, 2008

You Know You are a Baby Boomer, When ......

Early morning is my favorite time of the day. It is a time to enjoy a cup of my special coffee, check emails on the computer and reflect on the coming days activities. It is a quiet time and no on is stirring, not even my Maltese Houdini! I think that us over 50 group tend to get up early out of habit!

Wait, what do I hear? I hear the "thrumming" sound of a helicopter rotor cutting through the air. It immediately brings back a memory of growing with the Vietnam War on the six o'clock news. Listening to Walter Cronkite and his horrific stories all the while my family is sitting around, eating off of TV trays.





















Does this jog a memory for you? If it does, then you to are a baby boomer, one of the 78 million people that belong to this elite group of soon to retire baby boom generation.

Wait a minute, it isn't 1969, but 2008 .... I look out the window ....

I don't see any troops landing in a rice paddie or gunfire whizzing over head, but the county helicopter spraying our little island for mosquitoes! What better time to do this than at 6:30 am in the morning ... just at the break of dawn. I laugh to myself, what a vivid imagination.

We are an amalgamation of our experiences in life and this knowledge is what makes senior citizens so great! Use your great knowledge everyday and don't let retirement mean that you retire your mind. Keep active and share your time with others, maybe now is the time to volunteer.

The Corporation for National and Community Services feels that Baby Boomers represent a highly talented and highly motivated segment of the population that can help solve some of our most challenging social problems. They find ways to support communities by capturing the talents, skills, energy, and experience of Baby Boomers to meet local and national needs. Check it out!

No comments: